Thursday, October 26, 2017

My New Love.......





Yes, it's true, I'm in love. I'm in love with the new Kat Von D Saint and Sinner eye shadow palette.  I've had a love/hate relationship with the other products I've tried her line of cosmetics. I didn't care for the Studded Lipsticks or her Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks (which beauty professionals tell me are the best).  I loved the Tattoo liner I tried in my Ipsy bag, so I bought a full size. My disappointment in the liquid lipsticks prevented me from buying the palette released last holiday season, which I'll talk about later. I know, lips, eyes, two very different things.

I was always hesitant to try the shadows. They're so expensive and because of my dislike for the liquid lipstick, I wasn't sure I wanted to invest the money. Technically I didn't, I bought the palette with gift cards.

The aesthetic is beautiful. The cathedral design is beautiful, but the packaging is a bit bulky. This isn't a palette I'll be taking on vacation with me because it is so bulky.  I love the play on "Saint and Sinner". When you open the "Cathedral" doors, the left side of the palette is aptly named Saint, whereas the right is Sinner.  The colors looks like stained glass windows in a church. All of the shadows are given Catholic names. The mirrors are awkward to use, so I don't use them. It is awkward to hold the palette while trying to put on the shadows because of the design. So I just put it on my bed.

I watched a few YouTube reviews for this product. One girl absolutely hated it. I don't follow her so I can't link her video. I wonder if she's reviewing the same product as everyone else? Whether or not someone enjoys a product is very subjective, hence the review. One YouTuber I love, and watch all the time is Jen Luvs Reviews. I trust her fair assessment and her reviews are very in depth. She discusses ingredients and makes sure to swatch shadows on various skin tones. Here is a link to her review of the Saint and Sinner palette. Go watch it, it's very informative.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SupZ2FOnXgI.  (I'm a newbie, so I don't know the exact protocol for posting videos. I am a teacher and I am giving credit to the link).



I've heard many people, who are on the fence about purchasing this palette, say the shades are unwearable and not cohesive. That the scheme is all over the place, and that it looks difficult to create makeup looks with.  This is actually what one of my coworkers mentioned. She said she didn't know what to do with the colors. She said that it looks hard to create looks with. She wouldn't know where to begin. So she decided to not purchase this after all and she's a makeup junkie just like I am.

I know the colors in this palette are out there, but I love it. I'm not a makeup artist and my makeup probably looks bad, but I'm having so much fun trying to decide what colors to use. It's forcing me out of my neutral comfort zone, something we've all become accustomed to these last few years. If you love neutrals, then this isn't the palette for you.

These are the shadows with the MAC pot in Painterly
The shadows themselves are richly pigmented and are very blend-able. I haven't used the top shades which are shadow toppers, so they're not fully pigmented. I do have a minor complaint with the shadows. They didn't seem to work well with my NYX shadow primer. The shadow creased and pretty much disappeared by the end of the day. I was thoroughly disappointed at first.  I even used glitter primer. Then I tried a look with my MAC pot and the shadows lasted longer. All day actually. If you have a proper primer, these shadows will look amazing!!

Creasing with the NYX Primer


I really regret not buying the palette from last year. So I'm glad that I decided to get this one. 

I really admire Kat Von D and love that her products are cruelty free, something I look into before purchasing makeup. Of course, this isn't for everyone. At $62, this is very pricey. I wish I could love her Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks, because of the beautiful range of colors, but I can't, they just don't work for me. Her eye shadows on the other hand are AMAZING!  The best I've ever had, with the right shadow primer. I can't wait to she what she comes up with next year!

I would give the Saint and Sinner palette 4 out of 5 Pink Gerber Daisies




No comments:

Post a Comment