Thursday, December 29, 2016

My Top Movies: July - December 2016

I'm back and I'm glad. It's been a while I know. The job that pays the bills must take precedence over the job I'd love to have, but am doing currently as a hobby.  At the end of June, I posted my top 10 movies of the first half of the year. Now, exactly 6 months later, I'm posting "Part II". I just want to say, before I begin, how sad I am at the recent deaths of so many celebrities. I didn't know any of them personally, but this post is dedicated to all those we lost in 2016. 2016, you suck!!

Here is a link to my top 10 movies January to June. Top 10 Movies Part I January-June 

This half of the year was so much better than the first. I will add a few Honorable Mentions at the end. 

10.  The Legend of Tarzan: I really did enjoy this movie. Alexander Skarsgard is very well built and I'm not typically drawn to blondes. I kind of like Margot Robbie's acting, as she will also be in a movie higher up on my list, can you guess what that might be? I thought the cinematography was breathtaking. Who doesn't love Tarzan and Jane's love? I did like this movie a lot, but it also holds a special place in my heart, because my dad was a fan of the Tarzan films (there have been so many!!) PG-13

9.  Secret Life of Pets: I already posted a review of this movie on this blog, so here is the link Secret Life of Pets I thought this movie was stinking cute. Yes I'm a pet owner and animal lover. PG

8.  Allied: After further thought this movie made its way on my list. Originally The Secret Life of Pets was in this slot. I thought this film was beautiful. It wasn't as violent as I thought it was going to be. I'm not a huge fan of Brad Pitt (I used to be in the 90's) and some may say this is really a remake of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but I really liked it. I'm completely obsessed with World War II. Maybe I was a nurse during that time in a past life? I'm now a fan of Marion Cotillard. R

7.  Suicide Squad: I really liked it! I think it would have been better with more Jordan Catalano, I mean Jared Leto, because he is awesome sauce! I think I might even buy the DVD to get the extra features. I love Jai Courtney and Will Smith. Margot Robbie was crazy as Harley Quinn. I didn't like the witch, but without her, there would be no story.  PG-13

6.  Bridget Jones's Baby: I really did love this movie!  It was great to see Renee Zellweger and Colin Firth back together again! Patrick Dempsey just gets better with age, like a fine wine! This movie was better than Edge of Reason! I enjoyed the fact that I got to see it with my mom! R

5.   Manchester by the Sea: I know about the controversy with Casey Affleck, and I hope that isn't true. That aside, I thought the movie was stunning, Michelle Williams and Casey Affleck were amazing. I want to live in Manchester by the Sea. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the east coast, although the west coast is the best coast. R

4.  Moana: It's Disney and the Rock. I love them both. Little Moana was so adorable. I really loved this movie. I spent many summers in Hawaii, so I love the Polynesian culture. It was a great empowering story for young girls. PG

3.  Trolls:  Super cute! I love Poppy and Branch. I was invited to Comic Con to interview Justin Timberlake and Anna Kendrick for this film back in July. I couldn't wait to see the film in its entirety. This is another film to empower young girls, especially now when we have a president-elect who disrespects and sexually harasses women.  PG

2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: This came out on my birthday. Thanks Disney for your gift. I loved Felicity Jones and Diego Luna. Carrie Fisher, RIP you will forever be our Princess. I did miss the mythology of the Star Wars saga with the Skywalker family, but this movie didn't disappoint. It was full of action, but yes it did drag in a few spots. PG-13 

There was one movie the second half of the year that beat out Rogue One, drum roll please..........

1.  Doctor Strange: This is probably my favorite movie of the year. It was visually stunning. Interesting enough Mad Mikkelsen was in both Rogue One and Doctor Strange.  Rachel McAdams I love, Benedict Cumberbatch, I wasn't a fan of you until this movie. You can't go wrong with Marvel and Disney.  PG-13

There were a few honorable mentions, because I had so many on my list for the second half of the year. I also enjoyed: The Magnificent Seven, Sausage Party, Pete's Dragon, Passengers and Snowden, but this is only a top 10. I was reaching the first half of the year. With 2016 coming to a close, I look forward to what the studios have in store for us in 2017.

Happy New Year and Merry Watching!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment