Monday, January 16, 2017

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette

Last year I had an obsession with ColourPop, and that obsession is now finally/thankfully, over. I've become more and more disillusioned with the novelty of the ColourPop shadows. I love their pigment, for the most part, but they are just too hard to work with.



This year I am obsessed with Too Faced and their eye shadows. Last summer I purchased two of their smaller palettes just to see how I liked their shadows. I purchased both with gift cards. I thought they were just ok. I  do wear the Natural Eyes to work almost everyday.

 Now to the actual review of the Original Chocolate Bar Palette I know that the Original Chocolate Bar Palette was released quite a few years ago, so I'm a bit late to the party. I did purchase this palette with a gift card. I scoured all of Southern California, in the rain on New Year's Eve, to purchase this palette. 



I noticed right off the bat, that the Original Chocolate Bar Palette is very similar to the Natural Eyes Palette, except for the fact that the Chocolate Bar Palette smells like chocolate and the shadows apply better!! I feel that the Chocolate Bar Palette blends easier than these smaller palettes and the color payoff is way better! Obviously more looks can be created with the Chocolate Bar Palette, because of the few pops of color.

 I ALWAYS use my MAC Pot in Painterly as a shadow primer. It works better than the Shadow Insurance by Too Faced. That primer is horrible, even with the Too Faced shadows. Using a primer helps the eye shadow last longer without creasing, which is a problem for me, and helps give the color a boost, so to speak. I do not have swatches of the Natural Eyes Palette, but I do have swatches of the Chocolate Bar Palette, which I will post down below.

A couple of things about the Original Chocolate Bar Palette. I absolutely LOVE the packaging! It looks like a Hershey Bar. I love the chocolate scent. The shadows are infused with cocoa powder. Some colors are not too highly pigmented and are a bit patchy. The pink color isn't very pigmented at all, you can build it up, but the other lighter base shades are pretty smooth and silky. With the exception of a few, the shadows are very buttery and swatch nicely. The shadows in the top row I had the most problems with and I like the least. They aren't as good as the others, swatched or applied. 

I chose this palette over the Semi Sweet Palette, because the colors are a bit cooler. Which is a moo point, thanks Joey Tribbiani, because I ended up purchasing the Semi Sweet Chocolate Bar Palette with another gift card I found a few weeks after this one. Once it arrives, I'll have all of the Too Faced Palettes, minus the Peanut Butter and Jelly Palette, Natural Mattes and the White Chocolate Chip Palette, which I heard is not good. 

Do I like this palette, yes. Do I love it and feel I can't live without it, no. Will I use it, of course. Do I wish that Too Faced amps up their color payoff and color choices, yes. Not everything has to be a neutral.  

I'm typically drawn towards cooler shades, but lately I like the neutral and warmer shades. I will be reviewing all of my palettes in separate posts and will rate all of the palettes I own from Too Faced, including my limited edition holiday palettes. 

I would give the Original Chocolate Bar Palette  3 1/2 out of 5 Pink Gerber Daisies.  Scroll down below for swatches.




Top row: Chocolate Ganache, White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Black Forest Truffle, Triple Fudge

Second row: Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Semi-Sweet, Strawberry Bon Bon, Candied Violet, Amaretto


Third row: Hazelnut, Creme Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Cherry Cordial, Champagne Truffle


****Disclaimer, I purchased all of these palettes with either my own money or with gift cards given to me, These opinions are my own and I am not being paid by Too Faced to promote their products. If I don't like something I will tell you. 


2 comments:

  1. I love those colors. I will have to check that one out when I am at Sephora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sweet Peach Palette is by far my favorite, but I love this one too!! This is a great palette for a more natural look.

      Delete