Saturday, January 20, 2018

My Favorite July-December 2017 Movies

Here it is ladies and gentlemen, my top 10 films, July through December, 2017. It took me a while because there were a few I wanted to watch before I posted my list. This is going to be short, I promise I won't go into too many details. The format will be Title, Genre, Release Date, Rating.  Here is the link to January - June. January-June 2017

10.  The Big Sick, Comedy, July 14, 2017, R:  Starring Kumail Nanjiani, Holly Hunter, Ray Romano and Zoe Kazan. It's an interracial love story and then some. Go see it. It's just good.  

9.  Spider-Man Homecoming, Action, July 7, 2017, PG-13: Starring Tom Holland, Marisa Tomei, Robert Downey Jr., Michael Keaton. I'm glad that Marvel had a chance to make their movie, I just don't think he's that interesting of a character. Tom Holland is so much better than Andrew Garfield in the role. I'm just not completely sold on Spider-Man. I like his interaction with The Avengers better. 

8. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Action, December 15, 2017, PG-13: Starring Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black and Karen Gillan. I never saw the first one, so I have nothing to compare this one to. I thought this was hilarious. You have Dwayne Johnson (hot) and Jack Black and Kevin Hart (both hilarious). What more could a girl ask for?

7. Girl's Trip, Comedy, July 21, 2017, R: Starring Jada Pinkett Smith, Regina Hall, Queen Latifah, and Tiffany Haddish. Four friends go on a girl's trip and chaos ensues. Tiffany Haddish is one of the funniest ladies on screen. I laughed so hard I was in tears. The comedy is crude, so it's not for the faint of heart. 

6.  Coco, Family Adventure, November 22, 1017, PG: Starring Gael Garcia Bernal, Benjamin Bratt, Alanna Ubach, and Anthony Gonzalez. It's a Disney cartoon so we know it must be good. This was very cute. It had me laughing, crying, and missing my dad.

5.  Molly's Game, Biography, December 25, 2017, R: Starring Jessica Chastain, Idris Elba, Michael Cera, and Kevin Costner. It says that this was released in Jan. 2018, but I watched it in limited release in 2017, while vacationing ironically in Vegas. This is about a girl named Molly Bloom, who hosts poker games for the Hollywood elite. How true to life is this version, with what really happened? I don't know. Speaking about Spider-Man....... Tobey Maguire sucks. It's ALLEGED that Michael Cera's character was based on Tobey Maguire. That pair, Tobey and Leo, I really don't care for. I know many will disagree, including my husband who must watch every Leo movie. Seriously though, name the last movie Tobey Maguire has been in where he doesn't spin a web. 

4.  The Greatest Showman, Musical Biography, December 25, 2017, PG: Starring Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zac Efron, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson. The visuals were stunning, the music was amazing. I liked this movie better than Les Miserables. I'm don't like the circus or the mistreatment of any animal, including human, but I loved learning about the birth of Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus. I remember going to the circus when I was little. This was a very fun and beautiful movie.   

3.  The Disaster Artist, Biography, December 8, 2017, R: Starring James Franco, Dave Franco and Seth Rogen. This is a film about the making of the cult film, The Room (2004) starring Tommy Wiseau. How much of what went on in the film actually went on in real life? My husband and I are looking into showings of The Room. James Franco is amazing, Dave Franco is amazing. If Tommy Wiseau is anything like the way James Franco portrayed him, he's absolutely insane, not bad insane, just splendidly crazy insane, if that's a thing. I really liked this movie, I'll just leave it at that. 

2.  Ingrid Goes West, Comedy, August 25, 2017, R: Starring Aubrey Plaza, Elizabeth Olsen, O'Shea Jackson Jr. and Wyatt Russell. This was one of my FAVORITE movies of the year. Everyone should see this. Aubrey Plaza is outrageous in this film.  It made me realize how much time I waste on social media, and here I am wanting everyone to read my social media.   I reviewed this film, so I will link that review here. Ingrid Goes West Review

1. Thor: Ragnorak, Action, November 3, 2017, PG-13: Starring Chris Hemsworth, Cate Blanchett, Idris Elba and Tom Hiddleston. I reviewed this movie, so I won't say much and link the review. This is one of my FAVORITE Marvel films to date. Thor: Ragnorak Review

I'm sitting here in the silence of my mom's house, just the ghosts and me, alone, reflecting on my choices and I realize that, while yes a blog like this can be helpful, there are movies that I pass on just because they don't look interesting to me or because I just flatly refuse to watch that particular genre. I hate horror films, so you won't see many on my lists, EVER. I'm not a critic and therefore am not required to sit through every film ever made. 

Here is a list of all the films that I watched, July- December, 2017:

These are in no particular order. The highlighted films are those that are worth seeing, but didn't make my list. I had no more room. 

Victoria and Abdul
Spider-Man Homecoming
War for the Planet of the Apes
The Big Sick
Girl's Trip
Dark Tower
The Glass Castle
An Inconvenient Sequel
The Hitman's Bodyguard
Ingrid Goes West
Home Again
IT: IT Review
Geostorm
Justice League
Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Last Jedi Review
Thor: Ragnorok
Jumanji
Molly's Game
Coco
The Shape of Water
All the Money in the World
I, Tonya
Lady Bird
The Post
Disaster Artist
The Greatest Showman
Daddy's Home 2
Marshall 
Phantom Thread











No comments:

Post a Comment