Saturday, January 6, 2018

Star Wars Movies Ranked



I just finished reading The Princess Diarist, written by the late Carrie Fisher. In honor of the book, I am going to rank all the Star Wars films from my least favorite to favorite. I know that some of my choices as favorites will be controversial and I'm just fine with that. This is solely my opinion and I'm fine that people disagree with my choices.

Not included in this list are the following: The Ewok movies from the 80's, The Clone Wars cartoons or any other cartoon series that may have been created.

9.  Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace. (1999) This movie was the most boring of the bunch. Even with Ewan McGregor as a young Obi Wan, I can't get on board with this movie and it is my least favorite. A boy grows up on a desert planet and hates sand, said boy leaves planet to become a Jedi, the most powerful Jedi in all the galaxy. Sadly this boy whines and complains all the time.

8. Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi. (2017) This crushed any hope I had for the series. I think I may be in the minority on this one, or maybe the majority if you're reading Flixster. I wrote an entire review on this film in another post so I won't go into detail about my complaints over this movie in this post. The Last Jedi Review

7. Star Wars IV: A New Hope. (1977) Another boring outing. So much of The Phantom Menace mirrors A New Hope. It's the same story, just different players. A boy grows up on a desert planet and hates sand, said boy leaves planet to become a Jedi, the most powerful Jedi in all the galaxy. Sadly this boy whines and complains all the time. Wait you'll see a pattern.

6.  Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. (2016) It's fitting that it should be the entry right before A New Hope. The story is getting interesting with this one. It's nice to see old characters again, (Jimmy Smitts as Bail Organa), and new characters thrown into the mix too.

5. Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens. (2015) I liked this one so much better than The Last Jedi. At least with this one there was hope, a new hope that the franchise would get better with age, just like a good wine. What I didn't like was the following: A girl grows up on a desert planet and hates sand, said girl leaves planet to become a Jedi, the most powerful Jedi in all the galaxy. There is also a boy who sadly whines and complains all the time, because he isn't as powerful as his granddaddy, the most powerful Sith in the entire galaxy.  Oh wait, we've had two versions of that story already. Please pick a new theme, thanks.

4. Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones. (2002) There's fighting, there's romance, there's some comedy Hayden is hot, Ewan is hot. There's not much more to ask for.  So this is where I begin to get controversial. Most people will not agree that this movie should be in anyone's top five. I know I'll hear that they acting was bad and seems forced, but looking at the originals, the acting is bad in those too! The actors are only as good as the director and the script.

3. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back. (1980) "No, I am your father" best reveal ever. The kiss between Luke and Leia is icky. "That boy was our last hope. No, there is another," cut to Leia. Obviously it was known that Leia was going to be Luke's sister. The foreshadowing is written all over the proverbial wall.

2.  Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith. (2005) Finally George gets to use Revenge in a title. The battle scene between Anakin and Obi Wan was probably my favorite in any Star Wars film. I don't care what anyone says, this was a great movie.

1. Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi. (1983) This is the best Star Wars movie in the series. The story comes full circle. Anakin fulfills the prophecy and destroys the Sith. Good vs. Evil and good prevails. Anakin risks his life to save his son. Let's not forget those adorable Ewok who help the rebels save the day. Luke and Leia realize that they are brother and sister (how is that kiss feeling now?). The series ends positively, Leia and Han are in love and everyone in the galaxy is happy, what more could you want? 

In just a few weeks I will be creating a list of my favorite films July-Dec 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment