Saturday, January 28, 2017

Too Faced Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar Review




Again, I'm a little late to the Too Faced party. These palettes have been available for a while. So far I've reviewed my Too Faced Original Chocolate Bar Palette and the Too Faced Chocolate Bon Bon Palette. I will link both of those reviews below. After Christmas and again with my gift cards, I have quite a few, I purchased the Semi-Sweet Palette. I was conflicted about purchasing it. I thought that this palette was way too warm for my skin tone. I also really didn't need it, because it closely resembles the Original Chocolate Bar Palette. You can see the the similarities in these side by side photos. The Original is cooler in tone than the Semi-Sweet

Original Chocolate Bar Palette

Chocolate Bon Bon Palette



Original Chocolate Bar
Semi-Sweet 












The packaging is still the adorable chocolate bar. The Semi-Sweet case is lighter in shade. It's still made of metal and has a magnetic closure. All of the palettes are made of metal and have magnetic closures. The shade names are right on the palette.




The shades, oh my goodness, they swatch horribly!! I was so disappointed based on the swatches. I thought I was going to return the palette based on the swatches alone. The colors were not pigmented at all (and I'm very fair skinned) and were extremely patchy. These colors were very stiff and were very different from the other palettes. I was so unhappy with the purchase! The only row I liked was the bottom row. Those colors were more buttery than the rest of the colors in the palette.





I told myself I would give it a week. I vowed to use the palette for one week and if I didn't like it I would return it. I actually ended up loving it. I had more complements about my eyeshadow during my week using this palette than I've had with any of the other palettes I've used. Surprisingly these colors were very blendable.  I've created looks using Peanut Butter, a color that seems to be the most popular among the YouTube beauty bloggers, Rum Raisin, Caramel, Bon Bon, Butter Pecan, Frosting, Pink Sugar, Puddin', Coconut Creme, Cocoa Chili Truffled and Hot Fudge.  Peanut Butter is so popular that Too Faced created and entire nine shade palette around this color. I'm interested in trying that palette out too. 

With that being said, there are a few more colors in this palette that are pointless. Pink Sugar is just glitter/shimmer. There is no pigmentation. I tried using it over a lid shade, and by the evening, the glitter was gone. There aren't too many transition shades. Nougat is good and I've used Peanut Butter as a transition. Coconut Creme is barely visible on me. Caramel and Bon Bon are very pretty lid shades, but I have to pack them on with my finger. 

Overall, this was a nice palette and I decided to keep it. In order to get use out of my palettes, I am going to trade them out every week. I have to commit to using one palette for the entire week, including the special edition Christmas palettes and my Urban Decay Palette.

I think this palette is better than the Chocolate Bon Bon Palette, which I rated 3 1/2 Pink Gerber Daisies. I can't give this palette 4 stars, because this isn't a 4 star palette, so my rating for the Chocolate Bon Bon Palette will be revisited and revised. Color swatches for the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar Palette are down below. 

The Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar Palette gets 3 1/2 out of 5 Pink Gerber Daisies. 




Top Row: Licorice, Coconut Creme, Nougat, Truffled, Hot Fudge

Middle Row: Cocoa Chili. Pink Sugar, Puddin', Blueberry Swirl, Peanut Butter, Frosting


Bottom Row: Rum Raisin, Mousse, Caramel, Bon Bon, Butter Pecan

No comments:

Post a Comment